Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1VEKE4Vlj
CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

Are You A Bucket Filler?


So, a large chunk of my morning was devoted to my bucket filler board.  If “bucket filler” is a new term for you, I would suggest picking up the story, Have You Filled A Bucket Today?  It is a great story that teaches children the importance of being kind to one another.  I purchased the story and thought I would use it to assist in our community building approach.  It also supports the nation-wide anti-bullying campaign. 

  I initially learned about bucket filling from Mrs. Dillard’s blog.  She has a wealth of printables and things for you to use for your bucket filler board.  If you haven’t been to her blog, what are you waiting for?!?!  Thanks for all your resources, Mrs. Dillard!

  Inspired by the story, I thought it would be great to have my students be bucket fillers.   As part of their literacy centers, I plan on having one of their “Must Do” activities being to fill out a bucket filler slip for someone else.  Basically, they have to pick up a slip and write something nice about someone else on it.  Then, they put the slip in the “bucket” of the person they wrote about.  On Fridays the students can read their slips.  (I will talk to the class about the importance of making sure that everyone’s bucket has at least one slip each week. If I notice that there is an empty bucket, I will be sure to add a slip myself).

Here is a picture of my bucket filler board.


  So how did I make my board? First, I typed up the “Bucket Filler” pledge (below).  I then used the website, www.blockposters.com to enlarge it (Be sure to save the PDF as JPG first).  I want it large so my students will be able to see it from our Morning Meeting carpet.  Just as we say the Pledge of Allegiance each morning, I plan on having the class say the Bucket Filler pledge each morning as well. 
Bucket Filler
  


   Underneath the pledge I created a 3-D bucket of my own using some odds and ends I had in my craft drawers.  Then, under that you will see little library card envelopes.  I plan on having the students color their own little “bucket”, which I will then attach to their envelope.  I will then post the students’ names below their envelope.  The blue envelopes are for the adults in our room this year.  The purple holder in the corner will hold the bucket slips.




After reading the story to the class, I plan on encouraging the students to discuss examples of bucket filling activities and things they could write on the bucket slips.  We will also discuss examples of “bucket dipping,” which is when you do hurtful things to others.  I will then post the filling and dipping examples on either side of my 3-D bucket model.  The students can use the bucket filler examples to assist them in completing their bucket filler slips.

 I also intend on sending some slips with the class when they travel to specials.  Therefore, they will be inspired to be kind throughout the entire day. 

  Think of how great you feel when someone compliments you. I intend to create an environment where my students feel proud and positive all year long.  


No comments:

Post a Comment