Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1VEKE4Vlj
CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Search This Blog

Friday, July 29, 2011

Attention Borders Shoppers!!

I know that nothing really beats a Scholastic book sale, however, since I had a Border's gift card, I decided to do some shopping there.   With the Borders stores closing, they are having liquidation sales.    I initially started shopping online but didn't care to pay for all of the extra shipping fees.  That being the case, I took to the store.  This ended up being a smart decision as there were certainly more sales.  Right now, it appears that most items are about 20% off. While this will only grow to a greater discount in the next couple of weeks, the selection will dwindle.  As it was, the majority of their paperback picture books were pretty much gone.  There were a few here and there, however, the two full shelves of children's books -at the Borders I went to- were pretty much hardcover.  Even still, I got some great deals on a few hardcover books.

All in all, I left there with 8 books for $48.   I didn't pay more than 7 dollars for any of the books.  I of course had two gift cards to help cover the cost, however, I still think it was a pretty productive trip to the store!

Books Purchased:


It Looked Like Spilt Milk- I've been wanting this book to use with our clouds discussion during our weather unit.  Our school library doesn't have it!

First Day Jitters- Cute story about the main character waking up on the first day of school, very nervous to go and face everyone!  It turns out that the main character is in fact the teacher! I thought this would be a nice story to share on the first day!

Once I Ate A Pie- Very cute story, which is told by different dogs.  Each page is devoted to a different dog.  They share their name and a little about their life- their favorite foods, how the feel, what they like to do, etc.  I thought this would be a great story to use when teaching point of view.  Also, it is perfect for my mini-unit on dogs.

The Grandma Book & The Grandpa Book- These two books are short and sweet.  They have simple sentences on each page, describing Grandmas and Grandpas. For example, "Some grandpas live with grandmas. Some grandpas live with their friends."  I purchased these two books to incorporate into my Writers Workshop time.  We are going to have one WW unit devoted to writing "research" projects about things that we know - no real research necessary.  I thought that the simple patterns in these stories might inspire and motivate my kiddos.

Other Goose- This is a cute nursery rhyme book, with original rhymes transformed! Instead of rhymes by Mother Goose, these are the original rhymes interpreted by, Other Goose.  I've been talking with one of my colleagues about working on a nursery rhyme unit.  I couldn't resist purchasing this one to add to our collection.

Pickles To Pittsburgh- This is the coveted sequel to Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs.  I couldn't resist adding this one to my library.  The students have always loved the original.  In this book, the little boy has a dream about the citizens of Chewandswallow coming back to start a company where they ship all of the deposited food products to other places around the world, hence, "Pickles to Pittsburgh".

Good Sports- This is a poem book.  It is devoted to children sharing poems about what it feels like to participate in various sports.  I'm planning on trying more with poetry this year and felt that this might be a good inspiration for some of my more athletic students!!

No comments:

Post a Comment